Monday, July 7, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

I must confess. . . every week while planning my menu I never stick with the particular days that I have down to make a certain meal. The menu plan is more of a guide to know what needs to be bought for the week so that I can survive with the food in the house. Because I had a rather expensive weekend and plan to have another in two weekends, I am hoping to make meals out of food already at the house. With that being said, here is my week's menu:

Monday - Chicken Piccata. I have had this on my menu every week for the past three weeks and have yet to make it. That means, I have all the necessary ingredients. So, I will definitely be eating this tonight.
Tuesday - Lemon Basil Pasta with Shrimp
Wednesday - Tacos with Salsa and Chips
Thursday - Baked Chicken, Rice, and Veggies
Friday - Spaghetti

I am unsure of what I have in the house to make for Saturday and Sunday. I know that I have a couple more packages of chicken and maybe one more package of hamburger meat. I will let you know what I have once it has been decided. I am pretty happy with this week's menu and hope that it saves me some money. I sure need it to. I don't know whether it is because it is summer time and I have more time after work to shop, but I have been spending money as fast as I make it. Not good :(

2 comments:

Bugaboo said...

So I see you're having salsa and chips with one of your meals this week. Have you ever had homemade pico de gallo? My bf doesn't like raw onion at all but loves this stuff. They sweat out in the mixture and all the flavors come together---it's awesome. Just in case you wanna try it:

2 med. tomatoes, minced
1/2 med. onion, minced
jalapeno pepper is suggested but I've never added it; if you want it hot, feel free to add some
1/8-1/4 c. cilantro, chopped (I absolutely love cilantro so I add lots, feel free to cut back if it's too overwhelming for you)
2 tbsp.(+) of lime juice

This is a rough outline of the ingredients and their quantities. I never measure but I think is approx. what I use. It's best to make it and then let it sit for a few hours before serving so all the flavors can meld. This is so much better than any store bought salsa!

pennypincher said...

I will definitely have to give this recipe a shot. I really like cilantro too, so it sounds yummy. Thanks so much for the recipe.