Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Job Interview #1

As of yet, I have not properly explained my current job situation. I am currently clerking for a judge and have been doing so for almost the past two years. In fact, my two years ends on July 31, 2008. That means that I am actively searching for the "perfect" job. That is not as easy as it sounds. Before I ever started sending out cover letters and resumes, the bf and I sat down for a serious life-changing talk. Do we move???? I am at the perfect time in my career to make a move and the bf is too. The bf wants to open his own law firm and I just want to practice for an established law firm. So we made the joint decision to move about three hours south of where we are currently located in Jackson, MS to a city called Gulfport. Gulfport is on the Mississippi Coast and is absolutely beautiful. I couldn't complain when he wanted to live on the water. I am originally from Louisiana. That being said, I don't have a preference.

The decision was made that we would move to Gulfport and I relentlessly started doing research on the law firms located in Gulfport, choosing the ones in which I thought that I might like to work, and sending out cover letters and resumes. Then the big blow comes, one of the guys that the bf is setting up his law firm with recently got engaged and the guy doesn't know if "they" want to move to Gulfport. "They" are not getting married until January. The bf wants to wait until after January to move now because he is still hoping that he can start his own firm. But, I have ONLY sent out resumes to Gulfport. What do I do? Do I keep searching for a job in Gulfport, do I start to look in Jackson?

I have decided to look in both. I don't particularly want to stay in Jackson if I will be constantly looking for a job in Gulfport because we will be moving there in the new year, but I don't want to move to Gulfport without the bf since he is the one with friends there and wanted to move there. All that being said, to state that I actually had an interview in Gulfport yesterday (because of course, that is where all my resumes were sent). The firm was wonderful. They are a regional firm with offices in four states, but only have about 20 lawyers in their Gulfport office. I really like working with a somewhat smaller law firm, but with resources of a larger law firm. It seems to be the best of both worlds. The interview went smoothly and I look forward to hearing back from them. While I am taking it one step at a time waiting to see what offers I may receive before making my final decision of staying in Jackson or moving to Gulfport, it is still nerve racking making life decisions. Whoo.

On the financial side, I spent $30.65 in gas driving to Gulfport and back. I was lucky enough that my roommate let me borrow her car which gets 34 miles per gallon instead of driving my own car which gets about 15 miles per gallon. The only other money I spent was $14.49 at a little fruit stand on the side of the road. It was too good to pass up!

No comments: