Friday, May 2, 2008

Switching Roommates

I have currently lived at the same address for almost two years now (will be two years in August) and have lived with the same roommate the entire time. She is a really great friend of mine and college sorority sister. She is also getting married in October and her and her finance closed on a house this past Wednesday. That means she is moving out and another roommate is moving in. I am really nervous about this situation. I lived by myself all through college and law school and C (my current roommate) is the only roommate I have ever had. This situation worked great for both of us. That brings me to the question - should I sign a six month lease with the new roommate or a year lease?

I would love to sign a year lease because that guarantees that the rent does not increase during that time, but I don't want to be stuck in a situation where I hate my new roommate. My new roommate (R) is also a friend. We met in law school and she is just graduating and accepting her first job. I believe we will be fine, but I don't know for certain.

Additionally, C was the owner of the washer/dryer so now R and I must buy a new one. We have found one used for $250 with a $20 delivery/installation fee and a 30 day-warranty. Is this a good deal? R and I have come to an agreement that we will split the cost of the washer/dryer and if I happen to move out in a year to get married to the bf (who already owns his house and washer/dryer) she will purchase my half from me (I am sure for a little less since we will have used them for a year).

Any advice on roommates and household items???

I am a little overwhelmed by all of the changes occurring in my life. A new job, new roommate, and deciding to stay in Jackson. Whew. I thank the Lord above that everything is working out perfectly. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments: